I've spent some late nights this week working on the mask for my Oogie Boogie costume. I figured that the mask would be the most challenging part, so I thought that I'd start there.
While doing some research on the internet (where else?), I stumbled upon another blog where a girl detailed the creation of her Oogie Boogie costume. I thought that she had some great ideas, but I had some refinements in mind.
I started by taking detailed measurements and then did some sketches to scale, so that I had a reference while working. Also, I dug up a bunch of pictures of Oogie Boogie and other costumes for inspiration.
To keep the plaster gauze from sticking to my hair, I made a tinfoil hat. I swear, I never had one before this moment. Promise.
I then added layers of plaster gauze over the foil and my face. I have to admit, working with plaster was pretty fun - I need to find an excuse to do it again.
The "helmet" came off easily, and I added more plaster where needed before removing the foil from the inside and letting it dry overnight.
Continue to Part 2