Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Making My Shoes

Luna Sandals. Awesome.In addition to providing terrible solutions to the wreath, the internet also had nothing to offer me for cost-effective, decent-looking Greek-style shoes for this costume. I wanted a pair of sandals with a minimal sole and leather straps wrapped around my ankles. 

Luckily, I had been researching barefoot and minimalist running, and at some point found the Luna Sandals website. I was really intrigued by the fact that their classic model had a do-it-yourself option, and decided that I might even wear them after Halloween if I took that approach. (spoiler: I still wear them occasionally!)

So I chose my materials and ordered the DIY Sandal Making Kit.

The kit came with all the instructions I need to make my sandals. I started by gluing the leather footbed to the rubber (from Vibram, no less), and set it off under some heavy books to dry. I then set to tracing my feet so I could make a pattern for the sandals.

Using the instructions provided, I marked the best locations for the leather to connect to the sandals, cut out the template, and then transferred it to the sheet of sandal material.

Using a utility knife, some elbow grease, and a whole lot of patience, I cut out the sandals.

After threading the laces, I was really happy with the result. I wore them around the house for the next few days to try and break them in. I'm glad that I did, because it took a bit before they became comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment